Thursday, November 8, 2012

Miss A, Block B, and Cornrow C

To get updates from a few of my favorite Kpop bands like Miss A and Block B, I have to rely on Youtube. Especially since I live here in Cornrow C, also known as Illinois (See what I did there?). Understandably, these updates come slowly, and therefore, I don't check my subscriptions all too often. 

So imagine my surprise when I discovered new songs by Miss A and was referred to new songs by Block B by Sherry. After jumping around my room to the rhythm of the music for at least 10 minutes (which is a great way exercise for the average Asian pop fan), I went back and listened to all of their other songs as well.

Miss A is a girl band, like more than half of the other bands in the Kpop industry. However, their image is much less cute and more independent than others in the industry, such as SNSD, Orange Caramel, T-ARA, and the list goes on. Before they debuted, they caused a stir with teasers that advertised very strong dancing, but didn't offer much information about the band itself. My favorite song of theirs is "Breathe," a really peppy and catchy song with a great rap section. The music video (below) illustrates their ability to create unique songs that still appeal to their Korean audience, who tend to like cute songs.


Block B didn't have the same success as Miss A. However, I believe their songs deserve the same credit for being unique. Most Kpop boy bands stick to the "Hallyu" style made popular by SM Entertainment -- slick dance moves, smooth singing, and lots of smart suit jackets with skinny jeans. However, Block B breaks away from that style completely to offer music strongly influenced by rap and hip hop. If the music video for "Nillili Mambo" below doesn't seem different, I don't know what does.


I think this music video needs to be extended into a Kpop movie version of Pirates of the Caribbean, and Zico (Mr. Pink Dreadlocks) needs to be Jack Sparrow. Anybody with me?

--Julia


3 comments:

  1. LOL CORNROW C. I was like "I know I've been kinda out of the Kpop scene for a while, but I didn't think I was THAT out of it...ohhh." It comforted me to see that I know these songs to some extent. I loved Miss A's first song (Bad Girl Good Girl), but I'm just not feeling it in their subsequent releases. I loved the concept of devious ballet dancers, and Suzy and Fei are gorgeous, but I guess they kinda fell flat for me after their debut.

    As for Block B, they're one of the bands I haven't bothered to look into (other than that one scandal over the Thailand flood), but since a friend linked me to Nillili Mambo twice, I've sat through the video. I have to say their faces aren't all that attractive (save for one), but they have an interesting style. I'll look out for their future activity!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very interested in your article, I think your articles are so interesting that I need more information, go is berkaya and I will always support you. I say many thanks to you. Just wanna say thank you for the information that you have been shared on your site. well it is more better 


    download music

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I we see what you did there. Very funny. Cornrow C for Central Illinois, perhaps. And, look, you even got some spam. Not only is this post better, it is more better!

    ReplyDelete