Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Vocaloids

A vocaloid, in the most literal sense of the word, is an artificial singer. Vocaloids are computer synthesizers that can mimic the human voice as it sings using source sound bytes from actors and singers. Developed in Japan, vocaloids are surprisingly popular among Japanese music fans, but not as much outside of Japan. 

Vocaloids aren't totally true to the human voice, which can be off-putting. However, fans of vocaloids still enjoy vocaloid music, and even go to concerts, where a vocaloid singer is represented on a huge screen as an anime character.

Notable vocaloids include Hatsune Miku, Kagamine Rin, Rin and Len, and Luka. Below is a live performance by Hatsune Miku, who, as far as I can tell, is the most popular and well known vocaloid.



The best part of vocaloid music, for me, is the cuteness. It is easy to see why people like it, even if it isn't exactly to my tastes in music. I am also amazed that each song is "sung" by a computer alone and that the voice is so accurate, even though it isn't exactly like that of a human. Maybe someday, technology will have come so far that vocaloids will be indistinguishable from human voices.

-Julia

5 comments:

  1. Wow. I find the vocaloid phenomenon fascinating, and creepy. But I can sort of see the appeal. It's hard to imagine paying a lot of money for a ticket to one of these concerts, though. It's interesting that the vocaloid performs along with live musicians.

    I can't tell whose post this is, since it's not signed. But I enjoyed both of your earlier posts on beatboxing and Korean indie bands. (I like the 10 cm song a lot!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry Mrs. Majerus, it was me that wrote the post :) I just signed it, thanks for letting me know!
      -Julia

      Delete
  2. I've never heard of Vocaloids before. The video was eerie and cute at the same time! I feel like I learned something here I would never think to pursue on my own but I'm really glad I did, seeing as it's so huge in some parts of the world. New technology offers so many new and different things I can't wait to see what comes next.

    ReplyDelete
  3. VOCALOIDS! I have to admit, I first heard of them a couple of years ago and thought they were a band, and it took a few readings of Wikipedia to clear up the concept. Miku is the cutest, and Llevan Polka Leek Spin is my favorite vocaloid adaptation. I also agree that their current purpose is cute. It's kinda scary to think that it could someday imitate organic singing voices..eek.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a bit of a trouble with vocaloids. The technology and what people have done with it is incredible, but I find their voices so creepy... it's just something I can't get used to. It makes their scary songs all the more terrifying though!

    ReplyDelete