Thursday, September 6, 2012

Best and Most Interesting of the Summer!

Over the summer, a lot of my favorite bands released songs that I jam out to every night now. For example, my all time favorite band, Big Bang, released a single titled "Monster." Big Bang is a very popular South Korean band (well I suppose there aren't any North Korean bands) with five members. Big Bang is best known for their unique music and style choices and are praised for composing their own pieces. The music video for Monster is below.


First of all, I'd like to say that Spock was not the hairstylist for this video. Secondly, I really, really love this song. It's catchy and the background music is just great, especially the piano part. The teasers came out right before I left for vacation and during the second week of my trip, I just had to seek out an Internet connection so I could watch it. Thankfully it didn't disappoint me at all.

Another notable video that has been released this summer is Gangnam Style, by Psy. It has a whopping view count of somewhere around 113 million, the most any Korean Pop (Kpop) video has gotten, as far as I know.


While this music video seems like another sleazy video, Psy, who masterminded the entire video, is actually sending a message about the Gangnam district of Seoul. The Gangnam district is the equivalent of the Beverly Hills of Korea, and in the music video, Psy mocks their attitude and lifestyle. Personally I think it's really funny, and I'm still working on learning that dance... Maybe if I go crazy during Finals week I can let off some steam and chase college students around while doing the little horse gallop dance.

-Julia

 

4 comments:

  1. This being my first time hearing/watching MONSTER (nobody could get me to...), I will first comment on the aesthetic appearance. Good: smashing statues, vampire eyes, action shots. Bad: scary GD raccoon eyes, bowl cut (though it did grow on me), awkward acting in the "searching" poses from everyone but GD, whose expressiveness just trumps all else. The beginning half minute or so was really interesting, the first-person perspective and all, and I liked the variation of hairstyles (again, you know who I'm talking about). I always like the style of Big Bang music videos, and this is a particularly nice one, like the supernatural version of Love Song/Blue.

    And there's nothing I can say about Gangnam Style that hasn't already been said countless times! I will join you in chasing college students around. Looking forward to your future posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now, it's Psy who's number one, actually the most liked video in YouTube history. Way to go... "Spock was not the hairstylist of the video." LOL. It would be so awesome if we did a flash mob here. We would totally make Uni history. Nice observant first post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. trolololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololol

    Very nice post, i really like the videos, they are very interesting (kedar says he really likes the second one).

    Your ending sentence was very funny :).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good post, Julia! I read this and watched the entertaining and funny "Gangnam Style" video when you first posted this, but for some reason I neglected to comment then. (Or maybe my comment didn't actually make it up. I have a recollection of making some observations about the video. Maybe captcha rejected me and I failed to notice.) In any case, your observations about Psy are interesting. He certainly is an unlikely pop star. He reminds me a little bit of James Murphy from LCD Sound System, a slightly dumpy, older-than-your-average-dance-musician singer with a good sense of humor.

    ReplyDelete